Things that are not inherently awful or something you should feel ashamed of:
- being white
- being male
- being cisgendered
- being straight or heteronormative
- being able bodied
- being neurotypical
- being conventionally attractive
Things that suck and you should feel ashamed of:
- denying the privilege that comes with being any of those things
- attempting to highlight your thoughts, views, ideas, experiences, etc, over those of the people you have privilege over when discussing their oppression
- complaining whenever someone of the oppressed group calls you out
- mislabeling, misgendering, or using slurs to refer to said oppressed group
- trying to showcase your allyship by over-exaggerating your beliefs or vying for attention for acting like a decent person
It’s really that simple.
I really needed to see this post. I know you rebloged it, but thank Kaira.